Love your home? Love our trades – Checkatrade.com is a free platform which provides customers with a selection of vetted and monitored local tradespeople to choose from
Whether you require a bathroom installation or a full house renovation, selecting a reputable tradesperson with confidence can be a struggle for customers. Checkatrade.com is a directory of trades which strives to make the process as safe and easy as possible for you. We believe strongly in consumer protection; therefore our trades must pass vetting checks and continue to be monitored throughout their membership, ensuring that they continuously meet the Checkatrade standard before exposing them to potential consumers.
To be able to offer you the optimum level of security and reassurance when choosing a tradesperson suitable for you, we focus on numerous different tools of consumer protection -
- Connecting you on a personal level – We interview and meet with potential members to assess their eligibility to join, seeking out the best-quality tradespeople who we believe will offer an excellent service. We decline around 5% of our applications as they do not satisfy our vetting
requirements – Reasons for declining trades can include criminal convictions and poor trading histories.
- Checks – We check all the important details of the person behind the company – From ID, to proof of address, to trading history. Certification evidence is essential, and we keep proof of these to ensure we retain full histories of each member. This process builds the foundations for a level of trust between us, our members and our consumers.
- Insurance – Both new and current members must provide us with valid public liability insurance in the event of any unexpected issues. We check that you’re protected so that you don’t have to.
- Recommendations – We go one step further than just recommending our members ourselves – We also request references from previous customers who have had work carried out by them. This helps us to provide you with realistic and unbiased views when you are browsing our members. Customers who have previously submitted feedback are asked to score members on workmanship, tidiness, courtesy, timekeeping and reliability. When a Checkatrade member has completed a job for you, you too will have the opportunity to submit feedback.
- Managed numbers – We deliver printed directories featuring a selection of our trades in over 200 areas nationwide. Being conscious to provide customers with only current Checkatrade members, if you happen to call the number of a member who has left since the directory was printed, we will redirect you to our reception team who can assist you finding a suitable trade who is still an approved, current Checkatrade member.
- Dedicated monitoring – Checkatrade have dedicated teams in place to continuously monitor the trades we display to our customers. As well as overseeing and checking feedbacks which come in, we also confirm the ongoing validity of our trades’ accreditations. Due to our intensive vetting and monitoring process the chance of jobs going wrong is kept to a minimum, however we are here to help if it does – Our complaints team are here to help advise and guide Checkatrade consumers through a process to try to find the best resolution for them.
- The Members Pledge – We believe that our community of trades offer the highest standards of quality to their customers, which is why we have invited them to join us. Checkatrade members are expected to pledge to a code of conduct which encourages them to behave in a professional and courteous manner. We are extremely proud of the partnerships we have been able to forge with over 30,000 members who we are excited to share with you.
If you require access to local tradespeople with the security of our support, simply visit Checkatrade.com and search by postcode and trade type. We’ll present you with a variety of members to let you browse, research and select the one which suits your needs the most. Many members display photographs of their work and write detailed descriptions of their services to help you make an efficient, informed choice.